Jul 24, 2012

family fun: make a silent film photobooth!





Whenever my children ask me about something, I always brainstorm ways we can make a creative family project out of it. In that way (and many others) I am completely off my rocker. 

The other day, my six year old daughter asked me why the old movies were all "gray and scratchy and jumpy looking". Good description, I'd say! 

So, I showed them some clips of old silent films online and explained to them that the earliest movies were actually a series of images taken very, very fast.  All put together, the pictures became moving, hence the word, Motion Picture. At that time, the technology didn't exist to have audio in the films. But sometime in the late 20s, "talkies" (films with sound) did emerge. 

Charlie Chaplain is probably the most well known film star of the silent movie era, so as an homage to him (and other fabulous silent film stars) we made a Silent Film Photobooth. 

You can too! 

Here's how:



Materials Needed for the Photobooth: 

-Butcher Block Paper 
(or the large rolls of paper you find for teacher bulletin boards in school supply section of your craft store). 
-A Marker
-Scissors

Materials Need for the Props:
-Thin Cardboard (we used cereal box cardboard)
-Scissors
-Hot glue and glue gun
-Wooden Dowels
-Felt

For the Photobooth:
Step 1: We unrolled our paper and drew an arch (three bubbled humps) for the top of the photobooth theater. We also drew curtains with our marker, leaving the outline of the marker (which makes a nice contrast) on the paper when we cut out them out. 

Step 2: We cut out the curtains and taped them on the wall. 

Step 3: We put a chair in the center of the curatins

For the Props:
We drew shapes like bowler hats (think Charlie Chaplain) and fashionable combs for the silent film movie belles onto thin cardboard. We then cut out paper and felt and covered our designs. For the man's shirt, we used a black marker and drew a collar, cut it out, covered it in paper (with drawn details) then attached it to the rectangular front cover of our cereal box. We drew the tie with a black maker as well. 
We attached dowels to our props with a dollop of  hot glue covered by a small rectangle of thin cardboard. 

Once everything was made, we shot our pictures. 

 Once we uploaded our fun pictures onto the computer, we used the fun filter on PicMonkey called Daguerreotype to give our pictures a Silent Film era feel. 


After using the filter, our pictures turned out like this: 

Last step: print out the pictures!

 And that's all folks!



Pin It!

9 comments:

small + friendly said...

You guys are having way too much fun :). I wish I could come over and play!

Jen C said...

I love you. That is all.

Seriously, you are incredible and I love this!

Jill V / TerraSavvy said...

Just S-T-O-P!! No, don't, I'm just saying you KILL me!!!

I'm with Jen, you're amazing and when I see you I'm going to give you a big fat wet kiss! OK, Not really, but I just rolled with it!

xo

Photobooth said...

You can customize your Photobooth using some of their option and setting you can make your shot looks like 3D or you can make it black and white or assorted, anything that you want so for sure you really enjoy using it even in your home or annual parties.

Jen @ Lifes Dewlaps said...

This is soooo cool. I want to do it! You are awesome, you know.

Sandra said...

This is soooo cute! love it.

Lisa said...

Caroline, you're the best! I'm so impressed with all the wonderful ideas you come up with for your kids. They are so lucky to have a mom like you! All of you are so very adorable! I want to create a silent movie photo booth. NOW. ;)

Jenny Yarbrough said...

Oh my goodness-so awesome!

Photobooth said...

I love the background of this Photo booth and it is really looks like a silent theater based on how they capture those photos.