Feb 28, 2012

DIY: Stripe Plastic Kid's Chair


Phil Donahue once said he felt he had mediocre talent for everything in life except talking. So, he became a talk show host!  Do you remember Phil Donahue? 
I feel the same way as Phil Donahue and trust me you don't ever want to hear me sing to prove it. Except, besides (ahem) talking (which I can definitely do), my special talent also includes looking at crummy things that would otherwise go in the trash and seeing something better. Those who know and love me well might argue that is not, in fact, a talent. But for all intents and purposes of this blog post today, we will pretend it is.

Take for example this gnarly plastic chair my neighbor was throwing away. My friends might say that I need a trash finding intervention--but I saw a project. By golly a DIY project!!
So, instead of seeing a sticker covered and totally trash-worthy chair, I somehow envisioned a cute little black and white chevron or plain black and white striped chair. 

Naturally I ignored the advice of my friends (who love me, I'll remind you) and I got to work, cleaned up the chair and painted it.


Would you like to know how? (please say yes, please say yes)

I thought you'd never ask:

So tell me, what has been your proudest redo moment at home? Is there anything you've seen potential in   for a little makeover? 

p.s. click the badge and scroll down until you see me to vote!

Pin It!

12 comments:

Sue said...

Cute, cute, cute!

=)

Rebecca said...

This is so cute. Good Job Caroline!

And speaking of talk, we should actually talk sometime. I think it would be fun.

Caroline said...

Thanks, Sue. My husband still thinks I should have either painted it red or left it in the trash. :) What can I say? I'm a girl with a vision! :))

Rebecca, I would love that too. I agree!!

small + friendly said...

I live for a good upcycle, the chair turned out so cute and you saved it from the landfill!

Caroline said...

thanks again, small +friendly. I live for a good up cycle too. Although, I must admit that not everything turns out quite like I envision. ;)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

The chair looks great! Love the stripes.

leigh said...

Yay for following your vision. You really do have a great eye!

I voted for you!! You would deserve the win, for sure!

Caroline said...

Thanks SMT and Leigh! XO!!

The Blonde Duck said...

So cool!

Caroline said...

Thank you! The kids really like it!

karen said...

This is really cute, but what kind of paint did you use? Am I missing the directions somewhere? But so, so cute!

Caroline said...

Hi Karen! Yes, I used spray paint for plastic surfaces for the white primer and black coat on the seat then an acrylic for plastics to paint on the stripes. I experimented with spraying on the stripes but didn't like the way it turned out so I decided to paint them on with a brush.
Also I didn't post the instructions..I ordered a new hard drive for my computer and am waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime posting from my iPod is nearly impossible for me (I am working on it) :)
Glad you like the chair Karen! :)