Jul 20, 2011

Project for the Kids: Making Tin Can Robots



As a child of the 1970's and '80's, I will be the first to admit that I have a real soft-spot for all things robot: robot dancing (the kids love it when I do this), robot movies (think Star Wars!), and of course robot toys (can anyone say transformers?) to name a few.
So, as you can imagine, I was super excited when my children showed an interest in making a robot. And I was even more thrilled to find all sorts of robot-making ideas around and about.
Starting out,  I was a bit uncertain how this project would work, but the kids loved it (huge hit, actually) and I even think an unexpected romance blossomed between Hello Kitty and our new robot friend! 

What You Will Need:
tin cans (cleaned and rinsed)
nuts and bolts, etc from the tool box (be creative!)
hot glue and hot glue gun
google eyes (optional)
electrical tape
magnets (strong disc or magnetic strips)

Once you clean out your empty tin cans, line the edges (for safety purposes) with electrical tape* Using a hot glue gun (adults only) glue nuts, and bolts etc to magnets (strong disc magnets seem to work best, but we used strips). You can glue on any pieces that would work better glued than affixed with a magnet. Have your children design the robot as you glue the pieces to the magnets. Once finished, show them how they can move the parts around.

Take THAT Mr. Potato Head! 



Once finished, let the children's imaginations run wild even if that means a spontaneous Hello Kitty/Robot wedding on the stairs! 


Hip-Hip Hooray!
Now, go and dance like a robot!
*As a common sense safety note: these are fun to make with children but my suggestion would be to supervise children closely while playing with them since there may be small parts (the magnetic parts) that come off, etc. Take caution if your children still put things in their mouths in which case I would suggest proudly displaying your new robot on a shelf! 





Pin It!

7 comments:

Sue said...

I would sure like to be around to see these girls of yours grow up. They are going to be so creative and comfortable exercising that creativity.

It's great.

=)

Rebecca said...

I'm going to have to go through our recycle bin! This looks fun (And TODAY!, my kids have been walking around acting and talking like robots!)

ellen said...

This is a great idea, caroline! I'm into creative re-use of recycling/trash items, and this definitely fits the bill! Always love seeing what you and those cute kiddies are up to!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I love this idea. I will definitely try it with the kids soon.

karen said...

I love how creative you are- I would never have thought of that!

Jenny said...

That is so much fun! I love it.

Diana Mieczan said...

This is AWESOME and I remember making one of those as a child:) You have the best ideas, sweetie. Love love love:) xo