Jul 14, 2010

Rainy Day Magic Chocolate Cake:

Rainy Day Magic Chocolate Cake:

Have you ever had one of those rainy days where you want to bake something, but when you look in your cupboards and refrigerator, you realize some essential ingredients are missing?
 Discouraged, you walk away and find something less exciting to do. 

Well guess what? Have I got a recipe for you!

 In our household, I often find the urge to bake when it rains, but then I realize we're low on milk or eggs. An impromptu run to the Grocery in the rain with three toddlers just isn't practical. So, I often experiment and search around for substitute recipes working with what I have.

Today's recipe is a Magic Chocolate Cake. I like this recipe. 
It's Magic because it contains no eggs or dairy products. It's perfect for people watching their cholesterol (the oil can be substituted with applesauce if you really want to get serious) or for people who are lactose intolerant (one of my daughters is sensitive to dairy), or for vegetarians who do not consume dairy (hello my dear Vegan readers). 

The best part about this cake? It tastes fabulous! It's rich, moist and chocolatey. 

Recipe:


Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cup sugar or other sweetener
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking soda
3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used 4)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup vegetable oil (or applesauce. I used oil)
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup cold water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a bowl and stir with a fork until mixed. Make a well in the center and add the vanilla, oil, vinegar, and water. Stir with a fork until well mixed. Spray your pan with cooking spray. Pour into a 9x9-inch baking dish, or cupcake pan, or bundt pan (which is what I used here) and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before you turn onto a plate. I think if you turn this little guy onto a cookie rack for cooling it might be too crumbly.


Note:
You can frost this cake with whatever you'd like, but make sure you allow it to cool completely first. Also, because it does not contain eggs, the cake is not as "bouncy" as a normal cake. I found it to be very moist, but not bouncy and a bit crumbly. In fact, I would recommend serving it in a bowl and dabbing with some cool whip or sprinkling with powdered sugar or serving it alone (which is my favorite way to eat it). So while the consistency might be slightly different than a normal cake, it definitely tastes great. 



Who knew?
 Enjoy!

Stop back by on Friday for my Feature Friday post on a nature photographer and blogger. Super cool.

Pin It!

9 comments:

Sue said...

That sounds really interesting. I didn't even think it was possible to make a cake without eggs and milk! I'll have to give it a try...WITH the applesauce!!

=)

Rebecca said...

What about pouring a bag of chocolate chips in the mixture, think that would work?

Caroline of Salsa Pie said...

Sue--neither did I until I started searching around. I've tried other eggless/dairy-free recipes for cake but this is my favorite.
Rebecca--I don't see why not. This whole post is about experimenting with cooking and thinking outside the box.

Diana Mieczan said...

That is perfect because I love to bake but I am always short on eggs or milk:)
I am so going to make this tomorrow....Balazs will love it because it will be good for his cholesterol:) Thanks,sweetie

citymouse said...

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me! I am definitely hanging on to the recipe for the next time I find myself in this situation.

I think this sounds like it would be awesome with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream in top.

Valerie said...

Growing up I knew this recipe as "wacky cocoa cake." It's wonderful and my mom added choco chips all the time :)

devon said...

that happens to me all the time!! i usually end up being sad and not baking. now i know what to do! :]

Lenetta @ Nettacow said...

Heh, I am *always* running out of something, and we live in the middle of nowhere, so a quick trip to the grocery store is out of the question. I linked to this on my weekly roundup - thanks for sharing!

hclairec said...

Sounds like a great recipe. I’ll share my daughter’s secret for great cakes – just use the egg whites. She loves to bake and her cakes were always better than mine. I saw her making a cake and realized that she only uses egg whites.